Summer plans delayed

I am an “out of state” boater. My boat, Zanzibar, is on the hard at Brewers (aka Safe Harbor) Warwick, RI but I live in Greenland NH. R.I. has said that anyone visiting their boat from out of state must self-quarantine for two weeks.

This is clearly not a viable option.

The boat is locked up and covered so I cannot even get some scheduled work done on the boat.

Since we moved to Greenland NH last year it is now a 2 ½ hour drive to the marina. I had been looking for a slip or mooring for over a year and was on several waiting lists in the area. I was told that I was likely to have to wait for 3-5 years. By sheer persistence, I was fortunate enough to find a slip at York Harbor ME which is 15 minutes from my house.

I paid for the slip in full which was a little over $7,000 for the season. Zanzibar is a 46 ft Beneteau Oceanis sail boat so this cost is about market price.

My plan was to bring the boat up from RI to York harbor at the beginning of June – indeed one of my crew was flying out from the UK to join that trip.

Obviously, those plans have been cancelled now.

The next critical date is the Pelagic Summer cruise which starts July 25.

If we are able to sail by then, I will launch the boat, go on the cruise and then sail back to York harbor.

If, we are not able to sail by then, I plan to leave the boat on the hard until next season.

Sadly, this means that Zanzibar will miss the whole of the 2020 season – but given the scope of this pandemic that really is the least of our problems.

Alex Collier
Greenland, N.H.